Hello everyone – It’s good to be finally be home again with my family having just finished the semester at University, as it means I can do a bit more journalism in my free time. The following is a roundup of some interesting news and deals from the last few days…
- Usually, Steam are pretty generous on their deals and offers – not a day goes by when there isn’t at least something on offer. This Christmas however, they have gone berserk. From today up until the 1st January, there is a simply enormous catalogue of games of every genre on offer, including sensational deals on individual games (Portal 2 is £5 today….that’s an absolute steal) and packs of games from the likes of Bethesda, Rockstar, Square Enix and of course Valve. The deals will change every day, so be sure to keep checking back regularly. The real big news on Steam however is the Great Gift Pile promotion. By completing various challenges every day, you will earn free games, vouchers, or a piece of coal. Don’t despair if you get some coal however though, because it’s the entry to the Epic Holiday Giveaway – top prize: EVERY GAME ON STEAM. Best clear out some hard drive space and pray then people.
- Microsoft has also waded into the murky waters of deals, with their annual 12 Days Of Christmas promotion, where each day one Xbox Live Arcade game will be discounted for the day. Today it’s the turn of Bastion, one of the big winners at the recent VGA awards – its yours for 600 MS Points. Major Nelson has also posted up details about some permanent deals that will be running through the 12 days as well, and you can check the details via this link.
- If you bought a 3DS early, the long awaited Game Boy Advance games for Ambassadors are now available for you to download for free. The list, which will probably offer more playability than the earlier NES Ambassador games, are as follows and are available via the E-Shop on your 3DS
– F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
– Super Mario Advance 3
– The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap
– Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
– Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
– Mario Kart: Super Circuit
– Mario vs. Donkey Kong
– Metroid Fusion
– Wario Land 4
– WarioWare Inc
- The long awaited Star Wars: The Old Republic, the biggest MMO to be released in years, finally goes on sale today. About 1 million lucky people have been playing early due to pre-order incentives, and it will now remain to be seen whether or not BioWare’s effort can dislodge World Of Warcraft from its lofty perch. I won’t be getting it personally as my laptop will not run it, however I have quite a few friends who have jumped on board, and I may be able to get first thoughts from them in a few days time.
- Finally, the best selling game at Christmas in the UK has been announced, and for the first time in eight years it is not an EA or Activision title – it’s The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, capping off an incredible year for Bethesda’s behemoth. The title of Christmas King has been dominated by Call Of Duty and Need For Speed over the last decade, and Skyrim has become the first game to break the run – the last title was the wonderful Grand Theft Auto: Vice City which ruled the roost in 2002.
In the early hours of this morning, Spike TV held its annual VGA awards which celebrated all things good in gaming this year. Even over a wide range of categories, some games dominated the awards, and quite rightly so. The big one, Game Of The Year, went to Bethesda Studio’s epic Skyrim, while Valve’s Portal 2 reminded people of its quality picking up five awards. Other big hitters such as The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3 and Batman: Arkham City also walked away with deserved accolades, while the wonderful Bastion picked up three awards including the ever important Best Downloadable game. The full list of winners is below: Continue reading Skyrim, Portal 2 And Bastion All Big Winners At VGA Awards + New Trailers For Mass Effect 3 &Tony Hawks HD
Hello everyone! Yep, that’s right – I’m back and writing blog stuff. I’ve been pretty busy recently what with university starting up again for the third year, the new Games Society starting up as well (a great success thus far), and general housekeeping with friends and such. I’ve not posted for about two weeks, and there has been so much news pass me by that I’m not even going to bother trying to wrap absolutely everything up. Instead, here are the headlines that have caught my eye recently:
- In the short space of a few days, there have been several big hitters be released across all platforms. These include Rage, Dark Souls, and Forza Motorsport 4. All of them have been receiving pretty high reviews, and the difficultly of course now is which ones to pick for purchase. It also seems that early reviews for Batman: Arkham City are overwhelmingly positive as well. Seems my student loan came just in time…
- Microsoft have finally gotten round to unveiling all the entertainment links they promised at this years E3 – and the list of partners they have is pretty damn impressive. For people here in the United Kingdom, we will be getting the likes of BBC Iplayer, 4OD, Channel 5, Lovefilm and Youtube on our Xbox dashboards in the coming months, and they will be free for both Silver and Gold members. Of course, the PS3 has had these services for quite a while now, so Microsoft is playing catch-up. For a few list of who is getting what, check Major Nelson’s page here.
- EA Sports must be feeling incredibly smug right now, because FIFA 12 is selling like hotcakes. In has shifted 3.2 million copies in its first week across all platforms, making it by far the biggest launch of this year thus far, and also the biggest launch for a sports title ever. It also now holds a new record in the UK for being the third biggest launch in history, behind Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. I have had quite a bit of hands on time with it over the last week, and will be posting up my own review on it very soon.
- On the DLC front, all of you who have kept a hold of your copies of Portal 2 will be happy this week as the ‘Peer Review’ content is now available. It is free to download and will take up 1.37 GB of HDD space, promising new co-op challenges and more GLaDOS. There has also been an announcement for Gears Of War 3 DLC in the form of the Horde Command pack, which will offer new fortifications and weapon skins.
- The achievement list for The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim has been leaked. If you are a glutton for punishment, then click here for the full list. Without giving much away, it is structured more like Fallout 3’s list than that of Oblivion.
- It appears that we may be getting yet another HD collection, this time from Naughty Dog in the form of a Jak & Daxter HD Collection. Details are very sketchy at the moment, but given just how many games recently are getting the HD treatment (Halo, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, God Of War, Ico & Shadow Of The Colossus, Zone Of The Enders, Final Fantasy X etc.) it wouldn’t surprise me at all. Still, this is one remake I would welcome as I never got round to playing the series when they originally came out (being a Ratchet & Clank fan instead). And while you are at it Naughty Dog, remaster Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, 3 and Crash Team Racing please. Then you can have all of my money.
- Finally, today we were informed of the sad death of Steve Jobs, the co founder of Apple. I’m not one for Apple products personally, and would associate him more fondly with the rise of Pixar, but there is no doubt that mobile gaming has been on the rise for years especially on products like the IPhone and IPad, and he deserves a hell of a lot of credit for its success. The lineage goes back even further with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984, allowing Apple to get in on the gaming industry in the first place. R.I.P Mr Jobs.
And that’s your news roundup for the moment. Don’t despair, as in the next few days I will be posting up my Gears Of War 3 review, and will get down to writing up my opinions on FIFA 12 as well. It’s good to be back.