Happy New Year to you all! I’m back after a lengthy Christmas break to bring you back up to date with the news
Headline Of The Week
Following a beta test at the end of last year, Sony has finalized the details for its PlayStation Now streaming service.
Whereas during the initial test users had to rent games by time on a per-game basis, a decision that proved unpopular, the final service will adopt a more sensible $20 a month price plan granting access to over one-hundred PS3 titles including The Last Of Us and Racthet & Clank: Into The Nexus. The service will launch in the United States and Canada on January 13th on PS4 initially, with other Sony products (including the Vita and Bravia TV’s) following soon after. Although a UK date has not been set, the service is still set to debut in Europe on the shores of Blighty.
In related PS4 news, Sony announced at a press conference in Japan that they have sold 18.5 million units worldwide, with 4 million of those sales coming during the Christmas period at the end of 2014. The PS4 continues to outpace sales of the PS2 in the UK, which is really quite an astonishing feat given the latter’s dominance during the early part of the century.
Continue reading WEEKLY NEWS UPDATE FOR 5TH – 11TH JANUARY
Have some bits and bobs of news
- (Breaking news as I write) COUNTER STRIKE IS COMING TO XBOX LIVE ARCADE – yep, you heard me right. The game will be called Counter Strike: Global Offensive, and will feature updated versions of maps that have become synonymous with the game, such as de_dust, as well as new game modes and leaderboards. Coming early 2012. Well, can a 12 year old game ignite Xbox Live like it has the PC world?
- I like what Codemasters have been doing with the F1 franchise since they got the license; F1 2010 was an excellent start, F1 2011 looks simply gorgeous, and today they announced a new title in the form of a free to play management simulation. F1 Online will feature all the cars, drivers and tracks from the sport, and will allow you to manage a team throughout an entire season, complete with qualifying and practice sessions, while dealing with all the hidden duties of managing an F1 team, such as conducting research and financing teams. You will also have the opportunity to create your own teams and liveries if the pre set teams aren’t up to your liking. I’m never going to own an F1 team, so this is the next best thing – and it sounds ace. More news on it should be available soon from the GamesCom conference to be held next week.
- And speaking of GamesCom, EA have said they will reveal the date that the FIFA 12 demo will be available for download on Xbox 360 and PS3 next week. We usually get details of the soundtrack with the demo as well, so that’s something else to look forward to.
- And speaking of EA (see what I did there?), news for those who want to play Battlefield 3 on your PC’s this winter – you have to download EA’s digital distribution service, Origin, if you want to buy the game online. This will come as a great annoyance to those who wanted the game on Steam, easily the most popular digital distributor of games available at this time, as EA are allowing the game on other digital distributors services – just not Valve’s. Obviously you can see why EA have taken this decision, as they want the maximum profit from the game, and this can come through them charging the price rather than Valve (EA’s news pitch cites the limitations for DLC and patches as the main reason for not being on Steam), but I wonder if limiting the audience is wise if they truly want to challenge Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, which will be available through Steam.
- And speaking of Call OF Duty (I’ll stop doing this now…sorry), more news has come about the upcoming ‘Rezurrection’ map pack for Black Ops. The big selling point here of course is that it is a purely all-zombies affair, featuring remakes of four World At War maps and a new proposition, where you fight zombies on the moon. People who bought the Hardened and Prestige copies of Black Ops will get the maps for free, and you also get the Zombies Soundtrack and a dashboard theme thrown into the deal. Not bad at all…if you don’t mind paying for needless remakes. If you didn’t buy the collectors editions it will cost you 1200 MS Points. It will be available on the 23rd August. Check this video for a behind the scenes look at the maps from the guys at Treyarch
- Rockstar are running a triple XP weekend for both Red Dead Redemption and its DLC expansion, Undead Nightmare. It will run from today until August 15th.
- Finally, THQ have made some footage of Saints Row: The Third available for people to see. It shows the second mission, where you fight a plane, engage in a freefall where you gun down rival gang members, before culminating in a ridiculous set piece where you hijack a plane which is flying straight for you…as OTT as you’d expect then, The footage is a few weeks old, but the news sites only seem to have got a hold of it these last two days for some strange reason
I’ve been on a roll as of late in updating my blog, so feel free to read my recent reviews such as Final Fantasy 9, where to get the Nintendo 3DS for cheap in the recent sales war, and my coverage of Skyrim from Quakecon. Comments and subscriptions as ever are very much welcome.