BASTION (SUPERGIANT GAMES) – 2011
Imagine walking around all day with a voice in the background narrating your life – it would get annoying quite quickly don’t you think? It’s surprising then that having played Bastion (the third part of my Humble Indie Bundle V review block), that I’m not quite so adverse to the idea now. However, it’s not just a fantastic narrator that makes Bastion one of the most impressive independent titles of recent times; this beautifully styled game has a few more tricks up its sleeve. Continue reading Kids, Windbags And Old Narrators – Bastion Review
Hello everyone – It’s good to be finally be home again with my family having just finished the semester at University, as it means I can do a bit more journalism in my free time. The following is a roundup of some interesting news and deals from the last few days…
- Usually, Steam are pretty generous on their deals and offers – not a day goes by when there isn’t at least something on offer. This Christmas however, they have gone berserk. From today up until the 1st January, there is a simply enormous catalogue of games of every genre on offer, including sensational deals on individual games (Portal 2 is £5 today….that’s an absolute steal) and packs of games from the likes of Bethesda, Rockstar, Square Enix and of course Valve. The deals will change every day, so be sure to keep checking back regularly. The real big news on Steam however is the Great Gift Pile promotion. By completing various challenges every day, you will earn free games, vouchers, or a piece of coal. Don’t despair if you get some coal however though, because it’s the entry to the Epic Holiday Giveaway – top prize: EVERY GAME ON STEAM. Best clear out some hard drive space and pray then people.
- Microsoft has also waded into the murky waters of deals, with their annual 12 Days Of Christmas promotion, where each day one Xbox Live Arcade game will be discounted for the day. Today it’s the turn of Bastion, one of the big winners at the recent VGA awards – its yours for 600 MS Points. Major Nelson has also posted up details about some permanent deals that will be running through the 12 days as well, and you can check the details via this link.
- If you bought a 3DS early, the long awaited Game Boy Advance games for Ambassadors are now available for you to download for free. The list, which will probably offer more playability than the earlier NES Ambassador games, are as follows and are available via the E-Shop on your 3DS
– F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
– Super Mario Advance 3
– The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap
– Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
– Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
– Mario Kart: Super Circuit
– Mario vs. Donkey Kong
– Metroid Fusion
– Wario Land 4
– WarioWare Inc
- The long awaited Star Wars: The Old Republic, the biggest MMO to be released in years, finally goes on sale today. About 1 million lucky people have been playing early due to pre-order incentives, and it will now remain to be seen whether or not BioWare’s effort can dislodge World Of Warcraft from its lofty perch. I won’t be getting it personally as my laptop will not run it, however I have quite a few friends who have jumped on board, and I may be able to get first thoughts from them in a few days time.
- Finally, the best selling game at Christmas in the UK has been announced, and for the first time in eight years it is not an EA or Activision title – it’s The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, capping off an incredible year for Bethesda’s behemoth. The title of Christmas King has been dominated by Call Of Duty and Need For Speed over the last decade, and Skyrim has become the first game to break the run – the last title was the wonderful Grand Theft Auto: Vice City which ruled the roost in 2002.
In the early hours of this morning, Spike TV held its annual VGA awards which celebrated all things good in gaming this year. Even over a wide range of categories, some games dominated the awards, and quite rightly so. The big one, Game Of The Year, went to Bethesda Studio’s epic Skyrim, while Valve’s Portal 2 reminded people of its quality picking up five awards. Other big hitters such as The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3 and Batman: Arkham City also walked away with deserved accolades, while the wonderful Bastion picked up three awards including the ever important Best Downloadable game. The full list of winners is below: Continue reading Skyrim, Portal 2 And Bastion All Big Winners At VGA Awards + New Trailers For Mass Effect 3 &Tony Hawks HD