Now that I have an afternoon free, I’ve decided to do the usual roundup of the most interesting/biggest news in the games industry over the past week or so. There is a fair bit to cover, so I have resorted to the journalist’s old friend, the bullet point list, to get everything concise. Let’s jump in shall we?
- Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (the super edition of the popular fighter with all the bells and whistles on it) has been announced, and it was swiftly followed by video footage showing four new characters. And then even more swiftly, all 12 new characters were leaked, including the long demanded inclusion of Capcom favourites Nemesis and Phoenix Wright. I have to say that the Marvel side looks a tad weak, surely they have put Venom in there somewhere? Anyway, if Super Street Fighter 4 is anything to go by, expect it to be relatively cheap when it comes out, and if you don’t fancy having all the new characters, I would expect the standard version price to drop like a stone as well.
- Activision has confirmed a new game, and it’s a shooter; not Call Of Duty 7, but a Xbox 360 and PS3 version of Goldeneye 007, to be named Goldeneye 007: Reloaded. The game had been previously released on the Wii, but these updates will include HD graphics and a new set of MI6 Ops Missions (*cough cough ITS SPEC OPS FROM MODERN WARFARE 2*). Also expect an updated multiplayer mode to deal with Xbox Live & PSN.
- Suda 51, the crazy man behind the likes of Killer 7, has announced his new take on the zombie genre with his game ‘Lollipop Chainsaw’. It will feature a cheerleader riding around a school environment on rollerskates….massacring zombies with a chainsaw. Don’t expect gore and blood however, as Suda wants the game to be ‘pop entertainment’, so zombies will explode in all the colours of the rainbow. Sounds insane. Good.
- Catherine, the puzzler-cum-dating simulator from Atlus, will be making its way to European shores after a period of uncertainty over its release. It will be published by Deep Silver in PAL regions.
- EA have announced an ‘unprecedented deal’ for FIFA 12, and they have signed it with….Manchester City. The deal means that the players have had the 360 degree camera treatment to get their faces in game (and they look scarily accurate), and City fans will be able to get a look at the new kit exclusively in the game. A few things to note; Tevez isn’t any of the trailers for the news so EA have been wise to the fact he may leave the club, Man City’s players will now be massively overrated in the game (sponsor players always have been), and finally, why Manchester City? Sure they are muchos rich…o, but they aren’t the highest profile team that EA could have got.
- And in more football game news, Konami have revealed the new fantastic dynamic (their words, not mine) which will debut in PES 2012: using the right analogue stick, you can control another player while dribbling with the left stick, making attacking easier and more flexible. Good luck to them; I predict it will be a ball-ache to use and will not encourage FIFA fans like myself to make the jump to the other side.
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 will be released in America in January 2012, just one month after its release in Japan. An early contender for RPG of the year then, at least before Mass Effect 3 comes out.
- Saints Row 3: we knew it was going to be over the top and crazy, and the confirmed voice actors for the game just reinforces this idea. The voice of the leader of the luchadore wrestling gang is none other than Hulk Hogan. This game is going to be ridiculous….brother.
- The achievement list for Resident Evil 4 HD has been released. Two things to note on this, first of all that Capcom have not forgotten about it having announced it ages ago, and secondly that the list equals 1000 points, amking it the first Xbox Live Arcade game to have such a total. No word yet on whther this trend will spread or not.
- And finally, EA have released some footage of the multiplayer mode for Battlefield 3. I’m sceptical, because frankly it looks for too good to be true. Check the video on this link to see for yourself.
Before I go, I will quickly outline what I hope to do with the blog for the next few weeks or so. Obviously I will keep updating with any news if it comes my way, but as far as reviews go, expect the likes of Crash Team Racing, Final Fantasy 9, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and Final Fantasy 13 to be hitting your webpages soon. Cheers for reading.